Strawberry Rhubarb Ginger Salsa
It’s June, and that means that local strawberries are starting to signal the arrival of summer here in the Pacific Northwest. There are tons of recipes out there for fresh strawberries, not the least of which is simply eating them by the fist full. I like to look for unique ways to use common ingredients, and while the pairing of strawberries with rhubarb may not be entirely unique, adding ginger, jalapeño, lime, and cilantro might be.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, diced
- 3 stalks rhubarb (about 5 inches long), cut lengthwise into strips and then diced
- 1/2 jalepeño chile, seeded and minced
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure to mince the ginger and jalepeño up very fine to avoid any single bit being too strong. Mix everything well, then let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let the flavors blend. Stir again before serving along side some grilled chicken or on top of some simple grilled tuna.